Tips for a Making Your Facebook Cover Image Stand Out
What do you need to consider when choosing a Facebook cover image for your publication? How can you make a memorable first impression with your choice of image?
Make sure your cover image conveys exactly the message you want it to with these tips:
- The ideal cover image dimensions are: 820 pixels wide by 462 pixels tall
- NEW – you can now use a video instead of a static cover photo. Take the opportunity to share a little bit more of your story. Cover videos should be 820 pixels wide by 312 pixels tall and 20 to 90 seconds long.
- Remember that your cover image will look different on a computer versus a mobile device. As with all design, double check how your image appears on mobile.
- A great way to make sure you are representing your magazine exactly how you want to is by creating the image in Photoshop. Here is a template: Facebook cover photo template (820 x 462px).
- If you can’t or don’t want to design an image for your cover, use a photograph that represents your publication or a beautiful stock photo.
- Using Canva is another option. You can customize their pre-made templates.
How should you select your cover photo? Hubspot has put together a great list of do’s and don’ts when it comes to cover photos. Here are some of the highlights:
- Follow Facebook’s guidelines
- Respect Facebook’s required dimensions (820px wide by 312 px tall for desktops)
- Stay mainly visual and have a clear focal point
- Keep in mind how your cover photo will look like on mobile
- Integrate your cover photo design with the rest of your page
What type of image attracts viewers?
- Emotion – feelings lead to action
- Relevance – make sure it fits your audience’s interests
- Colors – make the image attractive
- Typography – make your message clear
- Hashtags and text – use the right words that cause your audience to interact
Think outside the box:
- Promote your social media campaigns
- Change the image based on special occasions, events, sales, or holidays
- Use it to send people a special offer