“Mobile technology has spread rapidly around the globe,” says a recent report by the Pew Research Center. “Today, it is estimated that more than 5 billion people have mobile devices, and over half of these connections are smartphones.” Is it possible to embrace a digital-first mindset and also thrive in print publishing? In this course, we will explore this question and outline ways to leverage the unique value of print and digital, better serve readers across each platform, and create scalable models for growth.
Each week of the course will focus on a challenge area for magazine publishers in the digital age:
- how to understand the unique needs of the print and digital reader
- how to optimize your distribution strategy
- how to approach product development and establish a sustainable business model
- how to evaluate success and adapt accordingly
Jacob Walsh, vice president and publisher of Christianity Today (CT) magazine, will guide you through this course using examples from CT’s purposeful transition to a digital-first mindset.
The schedule is flexible in order to meet the needs of each student. The only scheduled events are the weekly one-hour live sessions. These sessions are recorded and available online anytime if the student is not able to attend the live session. Exact dates and times for the sessions is to be determined.
Background reading: TBD
Live session: Attend a one-hour online live session with the instructor. Sessions will be recorded and the recordings will be available 24/7 within a few hours after the live event.
Forum discussion: Participate in the class forum by making comments and asking questions throughout the week.
Homework assignment: Complete and return the homework assignment by Friday each week.
Time required to complete coursework: Approximately five hours each week
Registration and fees
Course fee: $50 (Financial assistance may be available. Please contact MTI.)
Payment options: Credit card via PayPal
Registration: Please register online by September 9, 2019. Accepted registrants will be notified and given further instructions.
Class size: Class size is limited to 20 students.
If you would like to participate in the course, but have no way of transferring funds over the Internet, please contact MTI to discuss other options.
The online course live sessions are delivered via ClickMeeting. Each live session includes video and audio. Dialing in by phone to the meeting is not required and you do not need to download and install any software from ClickMeeting in order to join the meeting.
However, you will need to download the latest version of Adobe FlashPlayer to view the live session if you don’t have it already.
ClickMeeting also provides the following system requirements as a guide to be able to get the best experience from the live session.
• 1.4GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 or faster processor (or equivalent) for Microsoft® Windows® XP or Windows 7
• 2GHz Pentium 4 or faster processor (or equivalent) for Windows Vista® Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit editions with 32-bit browser)
• 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended) for Windows XP or Windows 7; 1GB of RAM (2GB recommended) for Windows Vista
• Microsoft Internet Explorer 8, or 9 (32 bit only); Mozilla Firefox 3 or higher; Google Chrome
• Adobe® Flash® Player 11.3 for all users (hosts, presenters, participants, and administrators). Ports 1935, 443 and 80 need to be open.
• 1.83GHz Intel CoreTM Duo or faster processor
• Mac OS X v10.4, 10.5, 10.6 (Intel) or higher
• 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
• Mozilla Firefox 3 or higher; Apple Safari 4 or 5; Google Chrome
• Adobe Flash Player 11.3 for all users (hosts, presenters, participants, and administrators)
Free ClickMeeting apps are available on the following:
• App Store
• Google Play
• BlackBerry App World
Class instructions and forums are available via this website in the MTIOnline free membership section. You may signup for a free membership at any time.