You’re on the magazine aisle in a bookstore. Hundreds of eye-catching magazines stare at you, screaming for your attention. They’re all attractive. It’s a beauty pageant of magazine covers. Which one do you pick? You choose the one that appeals to you, the reader.
What elements need to be included in your magazine’s cover in order to create a cover that entices the reader to pick it up? MTI’s newest online course, “Keys to Effective Magazine Cover Design” will help you to develop a consistent cover style, design magazine covers that will attract your readers, and evaluate the success of your cover design.
During this course, Kevin Thomas, design director and sole proprietor of Twentyfivecents Creative Solutions, will help you apply these principles and more as he guides you through the process of designing a cover for your magazine.
The schedule is flexible in order to meet the needs of each student. The only scheduled events are the weekly one-hour live sessions. These sessions are recorded and available online anytime if the student is not able to attend the live session. Exact dates and times for the sessions is to be determined.
Background reading: Units from Design for Magazines: Guidelines for effective visual communication, a design manual from Magazine Training International
Live session: Attend a one-hour online live session with the instructor. Sessions will be recorded and the recordings will be available 24/7 within a few hours after the live event.
Forum discussion: Participate in the class forum by making comments and asking questions throughout the week.
Homework assignment: Complete and return the homework assignment by Friday each week.
Time required to complete coursework: Approximately five hours each week
Registration and fees
Course fee: $50 (Financial assistance may be available. Please contact MTI.)
Payment options: Credit card via PayPal
Registration: Please register online by April 15, 2019. Accepted registrants will be notified and given further instructions.
Class size: Class size is limited to 20 students.
If you would like to participate in the course, but have no way of transferring funds over the Internet, please contact MTI to discuss other options.
The online course live sessions are delivered via ClickMeeting. Each live session includes video and audio. Dialing in by phone to the meeting is not required and you do not need to download and install any software from ClickMeeting in order to join the meeting.
However, you will need to download the latest version of Adobe FlashPlayer to view the live session if you don’t have it already.
ClickMeeting also provides the following system requirements as a guide to be able to get the best experience from the live session.
• 1.4GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 or faster processor (or equivalent) for Microsoft® Windows® XP or Windows 7
• 2GHz Pentium 4 or faster processor (or equivalent) for Windows Vista® Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit editions with 32-bit browser)
• 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended) for Windows XP or Windows 7; 1GB of RAM (2GB recommended) for Windows Vista
• Microsoft Internet Explorer 8, or 9 (32 bit only); Mozilla Firefox 3 or higher; Google Chrome
• Adobe® Flash® Player 11.3 for all users (hosts, presenters, participants, and administrators). Ports 1935, 443 and 80 need to be open.
• 1.83GHz Intel CoreTM Duo or faster processor
• Mac OS X v10.4, 10.5, 10.6 (Intel) or higher
• 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
• Mozilla Firefox 3 or higher; Apple Safari 4 or 5; Google Chrome
• Adobe Flash Player 11.3 for all users (hosts, presenters, participants, and administrators)
Free ClickMeeting apps are available on the following:
• App Store
• Google Play
• BlackBerry App World
Class instructions and forums are available via this website in the MTIOnline free membership section. You may signup for a free membership at any time.