This course will help the editor of a publication gain a spiritual foundation as a leader of those who work on the publication and for leading readers. Writers need to be led to stronger communication skills. Everyone who helps plan, produce, and market a publication needs be led toward understanding how to connect with readers.
During this four-week course, you will discover how to lead a team to define your publication’s audience, hone the magazine to meet your readers’ needs, and produce strong magazine content. How well do you know your readers? In this course you will learn how to know them better and discover what they want to read. You’ll also hear ideas about leading a team through a changing media landscape where print and digital content are both important.
You will be guided on this journey by Mark Winz, who leads a team of missionary journalists and editors at Cru®’s World Headquarters. During this course, he will draw on his extensive experience to demonstrate how to navigate the range of roles expected of a Christian publication’s leader, and how to find your strengths and areas of need among these roles.
The schedule is very flexible in order to meet the needs of each student. The only scheduled events are the weekly one-hour live sessions. These sessions are recorded and available online anytime if the student is not able to attend the live session. Exact dates and times to be announced.
Background reading: TBD
Live session: Attend a one-hour online live session with the instructor. Sessions will be recorded and the recordings will be available 24/7 within a few hours after the live event.
Forum discussion: Participate in the class forum by making comments and asking questions throughout the week.
Homework assignment: Complete and return the homework assignment by Friday each week.
Time required to complete coursework: Approximately five hours each week
The online course live sessions are delivered via ClickMeeting. Each live session includes video and audio. Dialing in by phone to the meeting is not required and you do not need to download and install any software from ClickMeeting in order to join the meeting.
However, you will need to download the latest version of Adobe FlashPlayer to view the live session if you don’t have it already.
ClickMeeting also provides the following system requirements as a guide to be able to get the best experience from the live session.
• 1.4GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 or faster processor (or equivalent) for Microsoft® Windows® XP or Windows 7
• 2GHz Pentium 4 or faster processor (or equivalent) for Windows Vista® Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit editions with 32-bit browser)
• 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended) for Windows XP or Windows 7; 1GB of RAM (2GB recommended) for Windows Vista
• Microsoft Internet Explorer 8, or 9 (32 bit only); Mozilla Firefox 3 or higher; Google Chrome
• Adobe® Flash® Player 11.3 for all users (hosts, presenters, participants, and administrators). Ports 1935, 443 and 80 need to be open.
• 1.83GHz Intel CoreTM Duo or faster processor
• Mac OS X v10.4, 10.5, 10.6 (Intel) or higher
• 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
• Mozilla Firefox 3 or higher; Apple Safari 4 or 5; Google Chrome
• Adobe Flash Player 11.3 for all users (hosts, presenters, participants, and administrators)
Free ClickMeeting apps are available on the following:
• App Store
• Google Play
• BlackBerry App World
Class instructions and forums are available via this website in the MTIOnline free membership section. You may signup for a free membership at any time or the administrator will create an account for you at the beginning of the class.