Coca Cola, Nike, McDonald’s and Focus on the Family. For better or worse, we hear or see those names and we immediately have an idea of what we expect from that product or organization. Those expectations are not by accident. Much thought and strategic planning have gone into those brands.
Have you thought about your publication’s brand? Your brand is much more than the name and logo. Your brand is what distinguishes your magazine from its rivals in the eyes of your readers. It is the strategic personality of your publication that suggests the values and the content that you are promising in each issue and on your website.
During this four-week course, you will learn how to apply the concept of branding to your magazine. You will define your magazine’s personality and begin to strategically plan how you will communicate that brand whenever, wherever, and however your reader comes into contact with your publication. Learn how advertising fits into your branding strategy and how to grow your brand in the eyes of your reader using ancillary products, events and other opportunities.
You will be guided on this journey by Terumi Echols, currently the vice president of client services at Brilliant Solutions Group, Inc. Prior to joining Brilliant Solutions Group, Terumi served on the executive leadership team at Christianity Today for over 13 years. During this course, she will draw on her extensive experience to demonstrate how your publication needs to offer relevance, value, and relationship to its readers, and how this might be accomplished.
Don’t miss this opportunity to craft or fine tune your magazine’s personality so that your readers will know and trust your brand.
The schedule is very flexible in order to meet the needs of each student. The only scheduled events are the weekly one-hour live sessions. These sessions are recorded and available online anytime if the student is not able to attend the live session. Exact dates and times to be announced.
Background reading: The Brand Flip by Marty Neumeier
Live session: Attend a one-hour online live session with the instructor. Sessions will be recorded and the recordings will be available 24/7 within a few hours after the live event.
Forum discussion: Participate in the class forum by making comments and asking questions throughout the week.
Homework assignment: Complete and return the homework assignment by Friday each week.
Time required to complete coursework: Approximately five hours each week
The online course live sessions are delivered via ClickMeeting. Each live session includes video and audio. Dialing in by phone to the meeting is not required and you do not need to download and install any software from ClickMeeting in order to join the meeting.
However, you will need to download the latest version of Adobe FlashPlayer to view the live session if you don’t have it already.
ClickMeeting also provides the following system requirements as a guide to be able to get the best experience from the live session.
• 1.4GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 or faster processor (or equivalent) for Microsoft® Windows® XP or Windows 7
• 2GHz Pentium 4 or faster processor (or equivalent) for Windows Vista® Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit editions with 32-bit browser)
• 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended) for Windows XP or Windows 7; 1GB of RAM (2GB recommended) for Windows Vista
• Microsoft Internet Explorer 8, or 9 (32 bit only); Mozilla Firefox 3 or higher; Google Chrome
• Adobe® Flash® Player 11.3 for all users (hosts, presenters, participants, and administrators). Ports 1935, 443 and 80 need to be open.
• 1.83GHz Intel CoreTM Duo or faster processor
• Mac OS X v10.4, 10.5, 10.6 (Intel) or higher
• 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
• Mozilla Firefox 3 or higher; Apple Safari 4 or 5; Google Chrome
• Adobe Flash Player 11.3 for all users (hosts, presenters, participants, and administrators)
Free ClickMeeting apps are available on the following:
• App Store
• Google Play
• BlackBerry App World
Class instructions and forums are available via this website in the MTIOnline free membership section. You may signup for a free membership at any time or the administrator will create an account for you at the beginning of the class.